Earth Day

So today is Earth Day and I'm promoting we all do our bit, in a way it's a shame the Earth needs it's own day, everyday we should be thinking about the Earth and how we can reduce our impact on the environment.

I've signed up for the Bee Cause with the Friends of the Earth and have pledged to make a 'Bee & Bee' for all the little bees out there. I live in a flat so it may not 'bee' the most bee friendly environment but I'll do as much as I can. So it works on bees needing 3 things:

  • a bee hotel- to provide nesting spaces for many solitary bees
  • breakfast- to provide nourishing nectar
  • refreshment- a water source for bees to collect water to cool their hive

I will get making my bee hotel as soon as possible (hopefully by next weekend) or I may even buy one! In terms of breakfast, I already have rosemary and lavender on my balcony and will look at adding more bee friendly flowers. When planting your gardens try and make sure there is food for bees all year round (yes they do dive out in Winter to stock up!) this way they'll always have a food supply.

Refreshment wise it may not be conventional but I dunk a little sponge in water and leave this out in a shallow bowl. I use this method with my own bees in the summer but an upturned brick also does the same thing. You just need to put a shallow bowl out with water and a few pebbles so that the bees have somewhere to land.

So I urge you to do your bit, whether it's planting some bee friendly flowers or giving them access to water, every little thing will help them. Here are some pointers for bee friendly flowers:

Comments

Popular Posts