Medway Beekeepers Honey Show

So this weekend was my beekeeping association's Honey Show. It's hosted in a local garden center and I've entered for a couple of years. I'll be honest I had no idea what I was doing the first time I entered, it seemed like a mysterious club to which the key to winning was one big secret. I learnt a bit from judges notes and snippets of information from other members but this weekend I was given the opportunity to be the judges steward and learnt so much!



Firstly I learnt there is such a thing as too much honey! I tried quite a lot and the sweetness got to me, considering I like cake that surprised me! The judge was great and explained everything to me; from how clear the honey is and the faults they look for to taste and viscosity. It was a real eye opener to see how complicated the judging process can be and just how difficult it is to prepare the 'perfect' jar for judging.

As well as all the exhibits the honey shop was open all weekend, we were selling local honey and hive products including wax wraps, candles and beeswax polish.




I also put a few entries in myself and did pretty well- I'll pop those on another post.

Comments

Popular Posts