BBKA Module 1- Honey Bee Management

So after finding out I passed my first module I'd caught the learning and exam bug, I'm a geek and I love it! I'd already made the decision that if I passed I would teach myself Module1- Honey bee Management so I could sit it in the November of 2019 so this is what I did.

Now teaching yourself is hard, as is finding the motivation and the time between a job and summer beekeeping. I wouldn't recommend a difficult module to study in the summer. I say that like I know which ones are hard but I have no idea! I decided on M1 as I'd read somewhere it was just like an extended written basic exam which it was really. It's a solid foundation in beekeeping, hive types and the 'right' way of doing things. I say this because I find there are a million ways to do everything and everyone does something different. I should also tell you that I have never had any formal training in beekeeping or been on a beekeeping course, my dad taught me what I know and I've expanded on that through the basic exam and these modules.

In comparison with M2 I found the content of this one a little boring as it was things I didn't learn anything new really. It was all things I knew or had an awareness of but it was good to refresh knowledge on the basics and I would probably say a good exam to try first if you're new to all this as much of it I would think is covered in a beekeeping course, this is just in more detail.

My association ran 2 mini study evenings where those that had taught themselves got to run through the syllabus with two members of the education team- this was invaluable. They had so much knowledge to share it really took my studying up a level. I'll do a post on how I study and revise as my fellow beeks (beekeeping geeks) found it really useful and have stolen the 'Sonia Study Book' idea!

I was flustered for this exam, I arrived later than I would have liked, I moved to a new town around Easter and didn't really know the traffic on a Saturday morning to the hall, although there was a cup of tea waiting for me which was just what I needed! Again I didn't struggle for time in this exam but felt like I was writing for eternity and I didn't have as much free time as the last one. My biggest tip is not overlook the things you think you know in revision as a lot of time was spent doubting myself on things I knew but hadn't looked at again.

Six weeks later I found out I'd passed with a credit, I was so proud as I had done this mainly by myself and it felt like a real achievement and a boost knowing that I can make myself learn!

I used quite a few books for this one:

some of the books I used for this module

The BBKA guide to Beekeeping by Davis and Cullum-Kenyon- a good starter book and I found this useful to know the BBKA's take on things, after all it is their exams. I don't actually own this book I probably should get a copy but it is one that you can easily find in most libraries. Also would make a great gift for a new beekeeper

The Honey Bee Inside and Out by Celia Davis- again like it's counterpart one of the best books I've read

Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion- this is the book I learnt from along side my dads teaching so for me it's one of my favourites

Guide to Bees and Honey by Ted Hooper

Practical Beekeeping by Clive de Bruyn

What I learnt is practically every book on beekeeping useful here! Although the Study notes I picked up once, felt it was too heavy and complicated and never touched it again for this module!






Comments

Popular Posts