The Handmade Apothecary

 I love plants and their uses really intrigue me. I find it fascinating that the wisdom of their healing properties has been lost or is no longer common knowledge. I purchased a book just before Christmas called The Handmade Apothecary and I love it. It's jam packed with herb, flower and tree medicine! It's broken down into body systems so you can see what's specific to circulatory problems, respiratory problems etc. It then has a really detailed guide to individual herbs, plants and trees, explaining their history of use, old names and their uses. It also tells you how to make tinctures, infused oils, cream and balms. I feel like this is a book of true wisdom! I also love it's bound in multiple sections so lays flat when you read it- sometimes the smallest things make the biggest difference!

I decided to make the warming balm as I think I must be part lizard, I have permanently cold hands and feet! I ordered some of the ingredients online as some of the things I needed should have been dried and collected the year before. The recipe was easy to follow and I got to use our spare beeswax as well to turn the oil into a balm consistency. You infuse the herbs into olive oil and it make the oil bright green! It does work but where my circulation is bad it needs a little more oomph, what was great was that when I posted a picture on instagram,  The Handmade Apothecary suggested using more chilli and ginger to make it more fiery- so they're happy to help.


the infusion, a mixture of comfrey, rosemary, juniper berries, chilli and ginger


the finished product

I can't wait for the weather to warm up a little so I can go an explore more plants and flowers, I love doing this anyway but now I'll also have in the back of my head their herbal uses. On my 'must make' list is Bruise balm as I bruise so easily and it would be great to find something to help them fade that little bit quicker!

Comments

Popular Posts